This weekend will be my second Ragnar So Cal race and as the day gets closer, I am getting more excited! We have more than half of our team reuniting from our first Ragnar. I am excited for not only the fun weekend but also a weekend getaway once we finish and most importantly a chance to redeem myself from the last Ragnar. Our team met on Friday to go over the last minute logistics. While I was a coach last time for our team, it was extremely easy to just be a participant this year. There has not been as much work which has led me to being excited for the race instead of stressed out.
Training and Running Lately
Before our meeting on Friday night, I headed out for an easy run just to move a little on my rest day. I did two miles a little slower than my race pace and my pace felt very comfortable! It is amazing what training and Orangetheory have done for my fitness in the past 6 months. For the race I am the first runner so my legs are: 2.30 miles (easy), 4.00 miles (easy) and 7.90 miles (very hard). I am so pumped for the first two legs because a flat road will allow me to really test my race pace. The last leg is going to really challenge me as a runner but I am excited for the challenge! My pace has increased, my legs have felt great and my recovery time has been faster.
These are the things I learned from my last race that are vital to have over the long weekend with no showers, lots of running and various weather. Our team agreed this year it would be best to individually handle our own food and drink for the weekend which means chocolate milk all weekend for me! Besides food and drink, these are the things each runner must have on them for Ragnar:
- 3 sets of running clothes (1 for each leg)
- 3 large ziplock bags for each outfit (great for storing those smelly clothes after)
- Running shoes
- Compression socks for your recovery
- Change of clothes for in between legs
- Jacket for night (especially at the beach)
- Baby / Body wipes
- Car phone charger (be sure to check what your car uses for chargers)
- Personal toiletries- medicine, glasses, etc.
- Extra toilet paper and towels
- Deodorant (this is a must for obvious reasons)
- Run gear: Earbuds, water bottle, watch tracker, etc.
- Cash/ Credit Card/ DL
- Pillow and/or blanket
- First aid (bandaids, antibiotic cream, ice pack, etc.)
Good luck to all who are participating in Ragnar this weekend!!